On a special day, say your birthday or his, or your anniversary, you always thought dining out is the best choice. Candle lit dinner, Star studded dining, Roof top, Lake side, something like that. We always expect him to surprise us with one such dinner. Why next time, you surprise him with a real special dinner at home?
If you feel, the everyday dishes, that you are expert in making are just not enough for that special day, go for something exotic, like this Pasta Alfredo, also called White sauce Pasta. Don’t worry, the making is the not as tough as the name is. One or two tricks to note, you will feel just a Chef then. What now? All you need is just two candles, your romantic dinner for the day is all set, And he, surprised!!! 😉
We always loved this creamy white sauce pasta served at the Pizza outlets. I have tried and failed so many times referring different recipes around the web. Every time I fail, I get a point. And finally, this is my own way of making the Pasta Alfredo. This may not be the original Italian way of making this, but I can swear this takes exactly the same. Try it to believe it 🙂
Pastas are kid’s favorites too. ‘Making him eat some good stuff like Mushrooms, Broccoli or other veggies’ is Pasta’s promise to you.
Let’s make it!!!
Pasta Alfredo with Chicken and Mushroom:
- Pasta – 100 gms (Any type, I have used Rotini here)
- Chicken – 150 gms, Boneless, cut into small cubes.
- Mushroom – 50 gms, Sliced
- Onion – 1, Cut lengthwise into thick slices.
- Capsicum – 1, Cut similar
- Spring Onions – 5 to 6, chopped
- Garlic – 4 to 5 cloves, finely chopped
- Oregano – 1/2 tea spoon
- White pepper powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Grated Cheese – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 250 gms
- Maida – 1 Table spoon
- Butter – 3 Table spoons
- Olive oil – 2 tea spoons
- Parsley (or Coriander leaves) and Spring onions to garnish
- Heat around 4 cups of water in a vessel. Add 2 tea spoons of Olive oil and a pinch of salt to that.
- When it starts to boil, add the pasta to the water and cook at medium high flame, keeping the lid closed.
- Drain the cooked Pasta and wash it once in running water. This is to get rid of the stickiness of the pasta. Keep it separate.
- In a shallow fry pan, add 1 table spoon of Butter.
- Add Chopped garlic, Onion, Spring Onions, Capsicum, Mushroom and the Chicken pieces, all at the same time.
- Saute them once. Then press them nicely to get a better contact to the pan. I will tell you why. And do not close the lid now.
- Meanwhile, in another vessel, add 2 table spoons of butter. As it melts, add milk. Also add a pinch of salt.
- By this time, the veggies and chicken would have fried brown at one side. Like shown below. This will give a nice smoky flavor and that’s why I told to press them nicely. Now add required salt and stir. Keep the flame is med low now. The chicken will start to leave some water in which everything gets cooked slowly. Close the lid.
- Now come to the milk pan, it would be about to start to boil. Now add Maida slowly while you keep stirring.
- Stir it continuously to avoid lumps. When you get the right consistency for the sauce, switch the flame off.
- Now open the other pan pf chicken and veggies. Chicken would be cooked tender now. Add the cooked Pasta. Add white pepper powder and stir.
- Now add the grated cheese and stir well.
- When the cheese starts to melt, add the sauce you made.
- Sprinkle Oregano, mix well and off the flame. Garnish with Spring onions and Parsley (or Coriander leaves).
Goes well with Baked Potato Wedges or any type of Grilled or Baked Chicken. Yumm!!!
- After you got the Chicken and the veggies fried to brown at one side, flip them, then do not give a lot of cooking time to them and the flame, medium low. The chicken will become hard and the veggies won’t stay crunchy if overcooked.
- When you add the Sauce to the pasta, if you feel the whole consistency is too thick, add one or two table spoons of milk and mix.
- If you are really good at multitasking, While the Pasta cooks, you can do the tossing and sauce making simultaneously. The pasta would be ready at the right time. This way, you don’t give much waiting time for the pasta.
- After adding the sauce to the pasta in the pan, keep some separate. You can use this as a topping while you serve. Some people really love more sauce at their plate.
- You can make a full veg version of this by skipping Chicken. Some veggies that goes well with Alfredo are thin sliced Carrots, Beans, Black olives, Sweet corns or Broccoli.
- If you want a real spicy edition of this, you can add Ground pepper or Chilli flakes while you add Oregano at the end.
Happy Cooking!!! Take Care!!! 🙂